We all know that if you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. As trivial as it sounds, we believe this applies when you fail to make a grocery list. Think back to those late nights when there’s nothing in the fridge, no leftovers, and nothing prepped. Admit it…you grabbed your phone and hit up GrubHub, ordered a pizza, or dug into the chocolate that you hide from your kids. WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE.
This week, when you make a grocery list, let us be your guide. Not only is this budget friendly, but everything on the grocery shopping list below is healthy, weight loss friendly, and as those of us with kids know is of the utmost importance, KID FRIENDLY (because after a long week the last thing we want to hear is “I don’t like this.”)
If you or your family have specific dietary restrictions or sensitives, please substitute in what works for you, or opt out of anything that doesn’t. But hopefully this grocery list template at least gives you some ideas for a basic list that you can send your husband to the store with (aka fool-proof LOL).
- Low carb flour tortillas: perfect for tacos and breakfast tacos (see the Sante Fe Ground Poultry in the meat and seafood section below) https://meats2u.com/product/carb-balance-soft-taco-flour-tortillas/
- Whole wheat bread
- Whole wheat pasta/brown rice pasta
- Oatmeal (avoid the instant)
- Whole grain or multi-grain cereal (as much as we try and get the kids to get on board with breakfast tacos or oatmeal, we know just as well as you do that doesn’t always fly)
- Brown rice (or our personal favorite, basmati. Note: recent studies have shown that the body actually breaks down brown and white rice in a similar fashion, so get whatever rice you can actually get your family to eat)
- Kodiak Cakes or Paleo Pancakes
THE MEATS (Aka the most important part – if you ask the meatheads)
- Chicken: we recommend the chicken lover box because it comes pre-seasoned with five different flavors so you never get “bored” of “plain ole’ chicken” https://meats2u.com/product/chicken-lover-pack/
- Ground poultry: the fan-favorite because Taco Tuesday has never been healthier/easier and did we mention breakfast tacos? Yeah. This is a must. https://meats2u.com/product/santa-fe-ground-poultry-16oz/
- Salmon (get those omegas in and check out our Orange Salmon recipe on the website) https://meats2u.com/product/2lbs-wild-caught-salmon-5-6oz-portions/
- Beef (for our hardcore carnivores) – highly recommend one of our newer items, pre-marinated carne asada (hello taco Tuesday … can you tell we really, really like tacos? Lol) https://meats2u.com/product/carne-asada-marinated-beef-skirt-steak/ OR for our more traditional meatheads you can never go wrong with a leaner flank steak https://meats2u.com/product/flank-steak-4pc-7oz/
Produce (Dealer’s choice. No, really. But we will give you a little more here. We recommend getting seasonal fruits and veggies whenever possible)
- Carrot sticks (easy peasy snack – we won’t judge if you bust out the Ranch for a little dipping action)
- Apples (we will judge you if you get green – kidding – kind of)
- Sweet potatoes or red potatoes
- Green beans
- Brussels sprouts
- Salad (here are all the ingredients for what we call our “everyday” salad): green cabbage, red cabbage, Persian cucumbers, bell peppers, broccoli, carrots (add garlic salt, olive oil and balsamic)
- Almond milk (we generally use this but get regular milk for the kids)
- Whole fat milk (they have grass-fed options now – which are primo if you are going full dairy)
- Kerigold butter
Frozen Foods & Snacks
- ____________________________________ (fill in the blank – only you know what your munchkins will eat – but having a frozen pizza on deck has been known to save lives)
Not only will this basic grocery list make your trip a relatively short one, it will help you stay on track with your health and fitness goals and give you peace of mind knowing that what your family is putting into their bodies is good and good for them.
We would love to hear how you organize your shopping lists and see your grocery store templates. Sharing is caring so post yours in the comment section below.